mercredi 8 mai 2013

Plato Sucks!



In an interview in 2005, the American poet and novelist Andrei Codrescu declared something I particularly agree with  :

I am neither sentimental nor cold. I prefer my love sexual, earthy, human. Sex is warm, funny, profound. Sentimentality is a form of fraud; in literature it extorts the reader’s emotional energy; in life it perpetuates lies. I am against platonism in any shape or form, beginning with Plato himself (who justly  threw the poets out of the Republic) to all the later meanings of the adjective. There was no ideal (‘platonic’) world before this one. Paradise is a pretty invention and utopia is an ugly lie. I believe neither in original sin nor in utopia. We make the world by being in it, playing in it, loving in it, having sex in it. One of my recordings is called ‘Plato Sucks.’
He does.




Aucun commentaire: